Queen Bee Salon & Spa FAQ's
We understand that you have questions, and trust me we have heard everything. There are no silly questions, and we want you to come to your appointment fully aware and reassured. If we have not answered what you need to know or you feel more comfortable talking to somebody one-on-one, our friendly Bee Keepers are ready to take your call. We have a team of very professional technicians at Queen Bee, and we take what we do seriously. So let’s not beat around the bush …. here are the basics!
Buzz Off Bumps!24.95
What is the Brazilian or Brozilian Bikini Wax? How is it different from the Heathrow Express and the Inbeetweenie?
There are so many definitions of what a Brazilian or Brozilian Wax is. At Queen Bee our Waxologists refer to it as The Full Monty Wax. ALL hair is taken off from bikini area top (mons) and sides (including treasure trail). All hair is removed from the labia/testicle area through to the top of your bottom (and any bunny tails!). If you want a modified Brazilian Wax with a strip or triangle left on top you would request our “Heathrow Express Wax” also known in the industry as a Playboy Wax. Want to leave more? Request an “InBEEtweenie” where your Queen Bee Waxologist will leave a strip or triangle on top then taper your hair down to your perineum. Waxologists acknowledge that not everybody wants to take everything off; some like to leave more of a natural triangle. Be very specific with your Waxologist as to what you want before you start your service, as we want your waxing experience at Queen Bee to be the very best.
Why would you want to get a Brazilian or Brozilian Bikini Wax in the first place!?
Personal choice. There are many reasons people want a Brazilian or Brozilian Wax. Some for personal hygiene reasons, before a planned c-section, vaginal birth, surgery, religious reasons; athletes prefer a hair-free body and other people just do it because they want to. It is a part of a healthy self-care routine.
Does a Brazilian or Brozilian Bikini Wax hurt?
Listen, the truth hurts, but only a wee little bit! Removing hair out of follicles isn’t going to be an overly comfortable experience however, in the hands of one of our well-trained Waxologists, the process is only minorly uncomfortable, and to be honest it gets easier over time. It helps if your esthetician has extensive experience and training with hair removal, especially with Bikini, Brazilian and Brozilian Bikini Waxes. Make sure your Waxologist holds your skin taut, you might even be asked to help hold skin that is not as tight. There is evidence that Brazilian and body waxing close to your menstrual cycle (4 days before and 4 days after) might be more uncomfortable, but you can still wax when you are on your period. We suggest popping ibuprofen 20 minutes before your appointment and also taking a warm bath or shower to soften follicles. Brazilians and Brozilians can also be more uncomfortable if you are overly tired, stressed or feeling under the weather. If you do decide to wax during your period, please arrive at your waxing appointment squeaky clean with a new tampon. Whatever you have heard about the pain factor involved in Brazilian and Brozilian Bikini Waxing, forget about it! It’s really not that bad. And always remember, we are not here to force you to do anything you don’t want to do. If you feel like you can’t handle it, tell your Waxologist to give you a breather.
Can I use a numbing cream before I wax?
We would rather you didn’t. Numbing creams can interfere with the application of our wax or, in certain situations, cause allergic reactions. For instance, somebody could be allergic to benzocaine that contains an anti-itch formula without knowing it. They apply it before they wax, then become itchy. Thinking this is a reaction to the wax, they reapply the product and therefore worsen the situation. Beyond this, I’m wary of using chemicals around such a sensitive area full of membranes and have heard horror stories of people not knowing a wax is too hot for their skin (our wax is kept at a steady warm temperature) because their skin is so numb. So, please avoid numbing creams or sprays. Queen Bee Waxologists have the best bedside manner and their goal is not to have you leave saying “I will never do that again!”, we want you to say “I will bee back!”
Will I be uncomfortable after my Brazilian/Brozilian Bikini Wax or any other body wax?
For those of you who are getting a Brazilian or Brozilian Bikini Wax for the first time, we would say you might have some sensitivity. The more coarse the hair, the more sensitive the skin, the more sensitivity you will feel during and after the wax. Some first-time clients are uncomfortable for an hour or so and others feel a little bit sore for a day or two. It is important not to wear tight jeans or pants if it is your first time waxing. Don’t throw yourself into a spinning class, hot tub, or too much hanky panky! Refrain from any activity that involves a lot of friction or heat right after a wax because ouch! The best way to minimize the discomfort is to take an ibuprofen 20 minutes before you wax, another after your wax, and then use a cool compress on the area if needed. (But remember not to place ice directly on your skin.) You won’t need to do this every time, but it may help the first couple of times. Once you start waxing regularly, it will become a breeze and you likely won’t feel any discomfort once the wax is finished. Plus, we always use fabulous balms to treat your skin after a wax to ensure the most rapid relief possible!
How long should I wait after shaving to get a Brazilian/Brozilian Wax or a first wax in general?
If you have never waxed before and have a big event coming up, such as a wedding, birth, vacation etc., we would not recommend getting your first ever wax a couple of days before. Plan ahead and try to get in a couple of waxes so that the first wax, which will be the more uncomfortable one, is out of the way. After your second wax, the results will be better and you won’t be uncomfortable or possibly stubbly for your special event.
How long will the results of a Brazilian/Brozilian Wax last?
It really depends. Hair grows at different cycles depending on the person. You will notice that after a few Brazilian, Brozilian and other bikini waxes your hair will start to grow in much slower and finer. Shaved hair appears thicker because it gets cut off at its thickest point, an efficiently waxed hair grows up as a fine tip. Don’t have high expectations of extremely smooth skin after your first wax. This comes with time and the patience of growing all of your hair out at the same time. We do have one trick up our sleeves and that is if you still have bothersome stubble left over or growing up a day or three after wax apply soothing aloe vera to that area and shave downwards. Why? Because that shaved hair will end up growing up with the hair that was waxed. There is physics behind what we do!
Can I get a Brazilian Wax if I am pregnant?
Yes, but please clear this with your doctor. Just like waxing when you are menstruating, pregnancy can leave you more sensitive during and after your wax. Your nerves are already a little on edge and there is a lot going on in that area.
Can I go tanning before or after a Brazilian/Brozilian Wax?
Tanning beds are recommended NEVER, even if you are not waxing, they can cause skin cancer. Instead, try one of our amazing and super safe Queen Bee custom airbrush spray tans.
Do you wax all genders?
We wax all people. End of story. Sometimes we have to know the specific parts we’re working with so that we can match you with the best waxer. But that is the only reason we ask. All are welcome at Queen Bee!
I’ve tried waxing my back and chest but those areas always break out with little red and white angry spots. What can I do to prevent this from happening?
Unfortunately this is quite common, especially on men with sensitive skin or coarse hair and deep roots. Many men only break out the first couple of times they wax. Once a person’s skin gets used to regular exfoliation and hair removal, breakouts often stop. We also take many precautions to prevent breakouts: After a wax, we treat the skin with antiseptic and antibacterial products. After this, we apply an additional solution to soothe irritation. We also recommend taking home a bottle of our Anti-Bac Attack cleanser and Buzz Off Bumps to further prevent these little breakouts from occurring. Make sure you check out our blogs on how to prevent breakouts after a wax.
I’m really paranoid about being aroused during my Brozilian Wax. What happens if I do?
We’re all grown-ups and Queen Bee Waxologists are trained to the max. There’s zero funny business at Queen Bee, we are professionals first. We know erections can happen due to nerves. Don’t sweat it! Truthfully, we’re not even going to acknowledge it.
I’ve got lots of small patches of hair on my body that bother me. Can I book an appointment just for those?
Once you’re in the room with your esthetician, you may add some of the smaller services to your ticket as time permits.
What kind of depilatory wax do you use, and is it sanitary?
We use our proprietary Queen Bee Garage Wax, a soft, warm and gentle wax. We designed this high quality wax to bind to unwanted hair on the body and not to the skin. It contains natural products, no honey or nut oils; is not tested on animals and is totally vegan. The titanium dioxide found in Queen Bee’s Garage Wax leaves a beautiful powdery finish on the skin and is not sticky. Our wax products and procedures are entirely sanitary. We use individual disposable pots for your bikini wax.
Other establishments sometimes use hard wax or a technique called sugaring. It is simply a matter of preference. We like the reassurance that the whole hair is coming up, including the bulb, and our wax allows us to see this. We have tested all different kinds of wax and we stick to the one that works best for our clients.
When can’t I wax?
We cannot wax you if you fall under any of the following categories:
- You are using any Retinol products i.e. Retin A, Renova, etc. on your bikini line or brow area.
- You are taking Accutane or other strong medications for acne.
- You have any kind of sunburn, laser burn, pustules, or breakouts on the area to be waxed.
- If you have type 1 diabetes please let us know as we may need the all-clear from your doc.
- If your bottom or other private parts are not presented to a Waxologist ship shape and Bristol fashion, that body part is not deemed sanitary and a Waxologist will not wax you. Hygiene is next to godliness and we don’t want to put you or ourselves at risk. In other words, wash thyself thoroughly before coming in 🙂
We ask that you discreetly disclose any and all medical conditions you have before we wax you, especially any STDs. Also, please, please freshen up before your appointment. Although we always prep the skin with an antiseptic before we wax, we cannot apply wax to skin with any debris on it. We like to run a clean ship!! In Culver City, we follow the rules of the California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. In Seattle, we follow the Washington Administrative Code (308-20) under the jurisdiction of the Washington State Department of Licensing. Our procedures are the same in California and Washington.
Why don’t you trim for clients?
Hygiene. We have the AC on during the day and the last thing we want is pubic hair all over the floor. We understand other establishments provide this service. We just don’t want clients to leave with other peoples’ hair on their feet/socks. Our State Board also prohibits it.
Can I bring my partner/friend into the room to watch?
The answer to this is “no” and we have our reasons. Another person in the room can distract our esthetician and we feel a friend/partner can make an already anxious first-timer more nervous.
How to Prepare for a Brazilian Bikini Wax, Brozilian, Heathrow Express, InBetweenie or any Bikini/Mankini Wax at Queen Bee
- Please shower/clean up before your appointment. We won’t spell it out… you catch our drift. (In a pinch, wet wipes are a lifesaver – just don’t flush them down our toilets!)
- Hair must be a quarter of an inch to an inch (about 10-14 days of growth) to adhere correctly to the wax. Your hair might be a little uneven for your first wax and that is okay. We cannot and will not wax skin that was recently shaved.
- Hair longer than an inch? Trim it down, but not too short! For hygienic reasons, we do not trim your pubic hair.
- Resist the urge to shave between sessions. Shaving can chafe the skin and create irritation. It also throws your wax off cycle. If you are desperate, just shave the sides in a downward direction.
- Gently exfoliate the area to be waxed. Having a warm bath or shower before your bikini wax can soften skin, allowing for easier hair removal. Gentle use of a dry brush before a wax is also helpful as it helps remove dead skin. We recommend exfoliating with our miraculous and custom Buzz off Bumps pads that remove dead skin build up around and in the follicle, leading to an easier and more thorough wax. These pads are great exfoliators between appointments.
- Chill out! Arrive at your appointment as relaxed as you can. Anticipation is often worse than the actual event. Most of our clients tell us that it was remarkably easier than they expected. Don’t listen to friends who tell you their waxing horror stories. They don’t come to us! YouTube videos and movie scenes with screaming ninnies will only get your knickers in a deeper twist. This is your experience and we will make it a good one.
- Take deep breaths during your wax, it relaxes muscles. Don’t worry—it really doesn’t hurt that much. And trust me, we want you to come back, so we won’t do anything to traumatize you!
- First, the worst, second the best, third the hair we take off your chest. We get that first-timers don’t know what to expect. In my experience, a first wax can be more uncomfortable, especially if you’ve been shaving. However, it won’t be the worst thing you’ve ever done. Most of the time, people leave our room pleasantly relieved that their wax wasn’t nearly as bad as they expected. Every wax after the first one gets easier, especially when your hair starts growing finer and we weaken that horrid follicle! Yes, your hair will get thinner and more sparse over time, sometimes not growing back at all. Booking your next appointment before you leave adds points to your Honey Jar and gives you a great prompt to come back.
- Ibuprofen. If you’re concerned about the potential for pain, take a couple of ibuprofen 20 minutes before your appointment. Please do not use numbing creams. We explain why in our waxing faqs page.
- Beauty Therapy. (Chat sesh?) Queen Bee Waxologists are the queens of distraction and we are trained to treat every one of you with care and as individuals. We want to get to know you. By the time you’ve finished telling us your story, ta-da! your wax is complete!
I have really blonde, sparse brows. What can I do to make my brows look or become thicker?
We love a challenge! Blonde brows often appear sparser than they really are, and there are several tricks for making them look fuller:
- Teach you how to color them in using a brow powder and brush.
- Encourage you to stimulate your brow area every day/night with a dry mascara wand.
- Some states still allow brow tinting, so check at the time of making your appointment.
Can I bring a photo of a brow shape I really want?
Absolutely. We will do our very best to give you your favorite screen diva’s arches, but remember this when looking at those brows: brows are sisters, not twins. You are seeing images of people whose eyebrows are either colored in or photoshopped to look perfect. Your bone structure is probably not the same as that particular person, so coming out of it, they may not look 100% the same. We can show you how to “dress” your brows with brow color to assist in making them look red carpet ready!
Queen Bee Tweezers28.95
I’m that girl from the 80s who overplucked. Although the 80s are back, my brows aren’t. Help!
This is a tough one, and we see it often. Whether it was due to an overzealous waxer who gave you skinny-minnies or you just had a moment with your mum’s tweezers, sometimes brows don’t grow back. The good news is there are tricks we teach our clients such as
- Dry brushing brows. Take a clean mascara wand and spend a few minutes every night gently dry brushing your brows. Why? Because many times hair follicles lay dormant and can be woken up with a little stimulation.
- Castor oil is a stimulant and again applying to the sparse area after dry brushing can, in fact, help nourish your hair and perhaps promote some new growth.
- We have heard success stories from people using various products that contain follicle-stimulating chemicals.
My brows are conjoined and I have antennae that are beginning to pick up police scanners. Can you help?
Our Brow Bees have an eye for what is right and natural. After a consultation, we’ll have your bad boys groomed back into place.
Check out our piece in the Wall Street Journal about male grooming
Can I wax my beard/moustache?
Guys, never! Your beard hair is technically pubic hair and is a lot more coarse and the skin very sensitive. Removing your facial hair could likely cause unnecessary irritation. If your facial hair bothers you, talk to your doctor about laser hair removal.
How does nostril waxing work? Why should I do it, and is it safe?
Breathe easy; we have you! We apply a “little” hard wax to a small stick and insert a couple of millimeters into each nostril. When it softens we remove. It doesn’t hurt. We want to reiterate that we do not go too far into the nostrils. You NEED HAIR in your nose for protection, but let’s also discuss the benefits of nose waxing: easier breathing through the passages (we have heard it helps with snoring), general confidence, and an ability to select finer wines and cheeses!
DURING COVID-19 THIS HAIR REMOVAL/WAXING SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE
I have hairs on my ears. Can you wax that?
Absolutely. It is our pleasure to take care of that for you. We use hard or soft wax for this area.
I had a reaction from a wax. What can I put on my skin to assist in healing?
Unfortunately, reactions to waxing can occur on sensitive areas of the face such as the sideburns, chin, lip, and brow areas. You must tell your Brow Bee if you are using any kind of retinol, peeling creams, or have been taking antibiotics, as these may have an adverse effect on your wax. We will always massage nourishing healing creams into your skin after a wax, but sometimes irritation can appear when you get home or even the next day. If you bump up after a wax, call us! We will probably instruct you to apply a little cortisone or witch hazel on the area. In some cases, we’ll have you come into the shop so we can treat the area. Again, we cannot emphasize how important it is to call us if you have any concerns.
REMEMBER to tell your Brow Bee if you’re taking any medications or have changed any skincare products since you saw her last.
Prep skin before any facial waxing with our famous Buzz off Bumps that contain ingredients that strip the skin of excess oils, dead skin and bacteria. Also contains soothing ingredients such as aloe vera, marshmallow root, witch hazel, oatmeal and more.
For the first 12 hours after your wax, we recommend avoiding:
- Vigorous activity, friction, sweating i.e. spinning, bike riding, running, etc.
- Sex (for Brazilian/Brozilian Waxes only). We recommend this for first-time waxers. Once your skin gets used to it, and you use a barrier cream, you should be fine.
- Hot tubs, steam rooms, chlorinated pools, saltwater, or very hot baths/showers
- Products containing perfume, alcohol, baking soda, essentials oils (in fact, you should never use perfumed products down there – ever)
- Tanning beds (don’t use them, ever!) or direct sun on the waxed area
- Picking at your skin with your fingers or a sharp instrument.
- Heavy creams, oils, deodorants, or exfoliating products
- Very tight clothing that holds sweat to the skin
- Deodorants that contain baking soda, citric acid, or essentials oils. They can burn and irritate the skin.
Buzz Off Bumps!24.95
For Brazilian, Brozilian, and Bikini Waxes:
Waxed skin is compromised skin, so condoms, lubricants, spermicides, bleached panty liners, soaps, and sexual activity can irritate a freshly waxed area. Use a barrier cream such as Aquaphor on the labia area if you must use such products and always use natural, unbleached panty liners and tampons.
Before your bikini wax, your skin was prepped with Buzz off Bumps, an exfoliator with antiseptic qualities. We did our job in making sure your skin was squeaky clean when you left; it is now your job to keep it that way. If you have any concerns, please contact us immediately.
Possible post-wax or shaving reactions with remedies – Ingrown Hairs
For ingrowns that look like clogged pores (blackheads):
- Cleanse the area with gentle antibacterial wash such as Queen Bee’s Anti-Bac Attack that contains glycolic acid, that clears away all dead skin build-up.
- Wipe skin down with Queen Bee’s custom-formulated Buzz Off Bumps pad to expose the ingrown. The salicylic acid will penetrate the pore and soften the oil build-up. Using gloves or clean fingers wrapped with tissue, gently hold down one side of the pore with one finger and roll (gently) with the other. The hair should pop out without too much pressure and the pore should become unclogged.
- Wipe clean the area thoroughly with a Buzz off Bumps pad once or twice a day to prevent ingrown hairs.
For ingrown hairs that grow under the skin:
- Some people are predisposed to these, even if they don’t shave or wax. Do not attempt to try to pick these out. Sometimes the body will just absorb them naturally.
- Keeping dead skin cells and debris off of the skin is the goal! Use Buzz off Bumps exfoliating pads before bed and in the morning.
Possible post-wax or shaving reactions with remedies – Red Itchy Bumps
Red, itchy bumps after a wax are a sign of inflammation and will usually go away pretty quickly. However, these products and steps are known to help alleviate any discomfort:
- Cortisone cream
- Pure organic aloe vera – cool in fridge if possible – it acts as a great moisturizer
- Cleanse areas with a gentle cleanser (look for one containing oatmeal). Always pat skin dry very gently.
- Apply a cool compress and hold on the area for up to 10 minutes
- Keep tight clothing and your hands off of the area
Buzz Off Bumps!24.95
Possible post-wax or shaving reactions with remedies – Whiteheads
Caused when your own bacteria enters irritated and inflamed follicles. Most commonly found on the chest, back, arms, above brows, and mons area. Commonly known as “Folliculitis”, many men who shave can develop this on their faces, and some people who sit for long periods of time or wear tight clothing see this on their bottoms.
- Use a gentle cleanser containing oatmeal, pat skin dry
- Massage in a little cortisone
- Apply a topical antibiotic such as Bacitracin or Polysporin, mix with a little cortisone if necessary
- Spot treat whiteheads with a benzoyl peroxide cream
- Wipe the area with a Queen Bee Buzz off Bumps pad that contains exfoliating ingredients and anti-inflammatories. Use Buzz off Bumps pre-shave and pre-wax to prevent whiteheads from appearing in the first place.
- Wipe skin gently with witch hazel to bring any inflammation down
- Keep area very clean
If the breakout does not clear up, please contact us.
Your “down there” skin is sore after a bikini wax
Use a light application of barrier creams such as Aquaphor mixed with a little pure aloe vera and cortisone cream underneath your bikini area. Apply a cool compress to the area and if necessary take an Advil or Motrin. Keep tight clothing off of the skin and do not use soaps. Your vagina has a built-in washing machine and can take care of itself. We have discussed in some of our blogs the effect that soaps can have “down there.” Since our wax is custom formulated to be very gentle on every area of your body, we recommend you not using soaps or other products described in many of our blogs.
Regardless of whether you have bumps or blemishes on your skin, if you scratch or pick a freshly waxed area, you will leave yourself susceptible to self-induced irritation and infection.
DO NOT SCRATCH BREAKOUTS OR TRY TO POP THEM AS THEY CAN SPREAD & CAUSE INFECTION. If your breakout does not get any better after a few days or spreads to other areas, your dermatologist might recommend an oral medication.
Which Queen Bee facial should I choose for my first time?
We recommend our BeeSpoke Custom Facial. During this personalized facial, a Queen Bee Facialist will ascertain what your needs are and create a customized treatment. Please note: If you have a big event coming up and have never had a facial before, we don’t recommend getting one a day or two before the event. It would be rotten luck if you had a reaction to a product, so get your first facial two to three months before a special occasion, and if you’re considering a peel, come in for a consultation first.
I have breakouts and oily skin, will a facial help?
In a word, yes. For oily, breakout-prone skin, we use products that clean and slough off excess oil and dead skin cells. After cleansing and a light scrub, gentle extractions are performed. Following extractions, your aesthetician will choose an appropriate mask for your skin, then tone and moisturize with an oil-free moisturizer. We may also discuss your lifestyle and recommend certain changes to help combat excess oil and acne. If you don’t want to come in for a facial, order a pot of our oil and pimping blasting pads Buzz Off Bumps! We have seen dramatic results with the daily use of these custom exfoliating pads.
My teen has spots and picks their skin! What can I do to help them?
Hormonal changes combined with a poor diet, stress, lack of sleep, and other environmental factors can wreak havoc on adolescent skin. Lifestyle changes can go a long way to improve the skin, especially alongside regular facials. Before you consider antibiotics or prescription acne drugs, come in and let us look and see if we can help. Read our blog on teen skincare here.
I am not comfortable coming in for a facial treatment during Covid-19. What can I do?
We completely understand and we are here to help. Queen Bee is fortunate to have extremely well trained and knowledgeable estheticians. We can have one of them arrange to have a video call with you to analyze your skin and help determine what professional products will work best for you, and also help get you into a healthy routine. Sign-up for our “esthetician on-call” video consultation.
I’ve hit midlife and my skin is getting drier and more sensitive and I’m not down with the Wrinkles!
Skin ages prematurely due to many factors. Overexposure to the sun, genetics, alcohol, tobacco, and stress can all take a toll on your skin’s elasticity and vibrancy. Menopause and losing testosterone can also affect how your skin behaves and appears. We cannot promise you miracles after your first facial, but we can guarantee results with consistent care and adherence to our recommended routine. To combat the various signs of aging, we recommend a more complex and focused facial.
I have darker skin and I scar and hyperpigment very easily. I also have keloids from overly aggressive extractions. Should I not get facials?
You can absolutely still get facials. Experienced estheticians know that darker skin types are more prone to scarring and hyper-pigmentation, and at Queen Bee we know our limitations. You can receive gentle extractions, however, we will never force a blackhead out of your skin, and we will always use professional products to prepare and soften the skin before extractions. Brighten hyperpigmentation from picking with Queen Bee’s Buzz Off Bumps. They contain glycolic and salicylic acids which are super for brightening areas that have experienced hyperpigmentation from picking or shaving.
Do men get facials?
Yes, anybody can enjoy a facial and we see many blokes for this service. We can even perform a facial for people with a full beard and we recommend a great antibacterial wash to cleanse the skin/hair that gets trapped in that facial hair.
I would really love a good peel. What do you offer?
We have several professional peel options to choose from at Queen Bee. However, once in the room if your esthetician decides your skin is not a perfect fit for the peel you selected, they will advise you of other options.
Can I get a facial if I’m pregnant?
Absolutely and you deserve it! We provide a safe environment for our pregnant and nursing mothers. Beds are bolstered, and you’ll be propped in a very comfortable position for the duration of your facial. Chemical-free products are used at all times to ensure the safety of all of our clients. Please make sure you let the staff know you are pregnant at the time of making an appointment and, congratulations!
Is there ever a time when I can’t get a facial?
Yes, when you are sick or have a cold sore on your face. It is best to wait for those things to clear up.
We will NEVER up-sell you during your facial or force products on you afterward. If, during a facial, you would like to add-on or upgrade your service, please talk to your esthetician directly. Add-ons and upgrades include extra massage or more focus on extractions. If your questions have not been answered on this page please reach out to us and we would be delighted to help!
Why spray tan over other methods?
It has been proven that tanning beds and too much exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer. Custom airbrush spray tans are a safer way to achieve a beautiful, natural-looking glow.
Who spray tans?
- Brides and their bridal parties are our most popular visitors
- Actors, models. Those people who are on camera a lot. We help them get ready for the red carpet and other appearances.
- In general, people just want to feel good and a golden glow helps them achieve that
How is Queen Bee different?
Our spray tan artists are trained by the best in the business. We won’t make you look like a Florida orange and our custom formula doesn’t have an unpleasant odor.
Please remember to check in with each Queen Bee location as some may not offer this service.
How long will my spray tan last?
About 7 to 10 days. You can keep your tan longer by AVOIDING long hot showers, mineral oil-based lotions, excessive exfoliation, swimming in chlorine bleach pools, and the beach (saltwater acts as an exfoliant). Also, people who work out a lot and shower more often will not keep their tans as LONG as most.
How can I make my spray tan last longer?
- Get a DHA based lotion/extender. Any lotion with DHA in it, when used every other day, will help prolong your tan. You should always wash your hands after applying the lotion as DHA will stain your hands.
- Exfoliate gently and evenly before your spray tan.
- Excessive sweating can interfere with the length of your tan as can hot tubs, steam rooms, and swimming.
How does a spray tan work?
When DHA (dihydroxyacetone) a colorless 3-carbon sugar is applied to the skin a chemical reaction with amino acids in the surface cells of the skin occurs. A browning or tanning effect is produced. Think about when you bite into an apple or a banana and let it sit on the counter; it browns due to oxidation. This is also the same in your spray tan but, because of the way it’s formulated it IS a chemical and therefore NOT able to be organic. A product has to be more than 70% organic to be known as organic. We use organic-based aloe vera DHA that does not damage the skin; it only affects the outermost cells of the epidermis otherwise known as a NON-TRANSDERMAL application. This means it does not seep past the dermis of the skin. DHA carries fewer health risks than any other method for achieving a tanned appearance without sun exposure. DHA has been approved for sunless tanning by the FDA but is not approved in the mucous areas like the eyes, lips and nose. Although not necessary, we offer nose plugs, eyewear, and suggest your own chapstick. We supply hair nets.
How long should the tan process on my skin?
You will need to leave the tan on your skin for a minimum of 8 hours, but 24 is desired. Again, this applies to the apple and banana analogy. The longer it is out, the browner it gets. But everybody’s amino acids are different, so not everyone achieves the same color.
Will a spray tan protect my skin if I go outside?
Absolutely NOT. You will still need to use SPF when out in the sun.
Does a spray tan smell horrible?
We have never had that feedback about ours. It has a very pleasant cherry almond scent that slowly goes away in about 1 to 2 hours.
Will a spray tan stain my sheets and clothing?
No, but bronzer will transfer onto your sheets and clothing generally the first day so wear something dark and always wear loose-fitting clothing too and after your appointment. If you are concerned about your bedding, change your sheets, or put down a towel.
How do I remove a spray tan mishap on my hands or feet?
Call us and let us know about the stain and we will help you out. A simple lemon and sugar scrub will work. Take a lemon and mix it with some sugar and the lemon will lighten and the sugar will exfoliate.
How do I remove my spray tan efficiently?
Cover yourself in baby oil, leave on for 15 minutes, and shower using a hot shower. Exfoliate your skin using a dry brush. Our Buzz off Bumps wipes are great for stubborn areas since they contain glycolic acid. This method may not remove it all but it will remove most.
How do I prepare for my spray tan?
- Shower, shave, and exfoliate the day of your appointment.
- Try to wax the day before.
- No lotion on the skin, please, unless it’s a water-based moisturizer.
- Do not use soaps that contain lanolin which can block your tan from developing.
- Bring loose clothing and flip flops to your appointment.
Can I wax or shave on the day of my appointment?
Shave the day of your spray tan using soap and water. Do not use any shaving products that contain lanolin. If you need to wax please try to wax a day before your spray tan to avoid the solution from getting into your pores. You can spray tan after a wax, but only if you have had smaller areas waxed like your brows, lip, or bikini line. Ensure your technician knows everything you have done to your skin before you spray tan.
I’m allergic to products that contain instant bronzers.
Please consult a physician first. Many people who are allergic to spray tan bronzers usually have a reaction to mica or some of the other listed ingredients. You can ask for the ingredients of our solution before your service.
My skin is dry. Can I use a moisturizer before my spray tan?
Yes. Just make sure it’s water-based.
I’m in a hurry and need a rapid tan. Do you have one?
Check with each location where you book. Some offer a “rapid” tan that you can rinse off after 3 hours.
When can’t I spray tan?
- If you have just received a facial peel
- If you have a sunburn
- If you come to your appointment with only tight clothing to wear after
- If you have just had a full body wax
Weddings, formals and other special events
We want to ensure that you get the best color and results and so as with waxing, we request that you come in for a test patch before you receive your first custom airbrush tan for a special event.