Queen Bee Blog
Folliculitis, Psuedofolliculitis Barbae, Pseudofolliculitis, Folliculitis Barbae, Hot Tub Folliculitis – I mean come on, how many ways can you spell out that a follicle is inflamed, irritated or infected?! We are going to try to spell out what the “F” is going on with this common skin condition so that you don’t freak out if you ever get it but most importantly, let’s focus on preventing it from happening in the first place.
What does it look like
- Red, inflamed, itchy bumps
- White heads
- Clusters of red itchy bumps
- Clusters of white heads
- Pustules that are sore and yellow in appearance
How could you have gotten it
- Irritation from Shaving, Waxing, Tweezing, Sugaring
- Excessive workouts aka “Friction” – spinning, running, hot yoga etc.
- Tight fitting clothing, rough fabric
- Picking your skin – bacteria on your skin and under your nails. Yuck!
- Hot Tubs – there are certain bacterias that can thrive in hot water. Gross!
- “Folliculitis” is bacterial (staph or fungi) and CAN be transmitted from close bodily contact or contaminated items from somebody who has this infection.
- Unclean areas at a gym or spa – let’s not sit down on that bench without undies on ok?
- Gotta partner with a rough, stubbly beard? Bacteria can live in those hairs. Friction from stubble on any of your delicate bits can irritate skin that has been shaved or waxed – I don’t think we need to say more, you know where we’re going with that.
Who is more susceptible
- Those with weakened immune systems
- Obesity issues
- People with sensitive skin and coarse, thick hair
- Lack of hygienic practices such as showering after a sweaty work out
How to prevent this
- Always use a brand new blade when shaving. Shave only in the direction that hair grows. Use a pre shave treatment that won’t irritate your follicles. Use a post shave treatment. Maybe invest in an electric razor and NEVER share personal care products.
- Prep skin with an antibacterial soap or wipe before shaving or waxing, moisturize.
- Always shower after you have done anything that involves friction or sweat.
- Use lotions that won’t clog your pores.
- Wear loose fitting clothes and choose active wear that keeps sweat away from your skin.
- Keep skin exfoliated. We created our custom exfoliating pads “Buzz Off Bumps” to keep bacteria away from the skin and ensure follicles are deep cleaned after every swipe!
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE !
Pick up a pot of our miracle treatment pads Buzz Off Bumps to smooth, remove and improve your skin, giving it the gentle buzz it needs.
Sharing is caring, but taking somebody else's hard work, either whole or part, is plagiarism. Please do your own work well; you will learn so much more!